On May 14, 2001 01:23 am, you wrote:

> > Boy, and I thought my VooDoo 5500 was a pain to config in LM 8.0 for 3D
> > accel.  I only wasted 2 days on the VooDoo to get it working - 6 days and
> > counting for my Matrox G450 so far (2nd machine btw).
>
>   I also have a Voodoo5 5500 AGP and cannot get 3D direct rendering working
> with it in Mandrake 8.  Mind telling me what you did to get it going?
> Thanks!

Hi Rob,

When DRI is configured only one GPU works on the 5500 in Linux, but it's
better than nothing :-)

Here are the steps I went through ...

Set your machine *not* to boot to an X-Session.  This is important w/ LM 8.0
- you have to boot to a run level 3 C/L prompt only.  More on this below.

Download the following RPMs from the Mandrake Cooker.  I found them on
www.rpmfind.net ...

XFree86-server-4.0.3-9.mdk.i586.rpm
XFree86-glide-module-4.0.3-9mdk.i586.rpm

In KDE or Gnome open a console window as root and type ...

# telinit 3

to switch to run level 3 after downloading the files.

Now you can install (upgrade) both packages ...

# rpm -Uvh XFree86-server-4.0.3-9.mdk.i586.rpm
XFree86-glide-module-4.0.3-9mdk.i586.rpm

Once that's done you ned to modify your XF86Config-4 file.  Change
directories ...

# cd /etc/X11

Open the midnight commander ...

# mc

Arrow down to the XF86Config-4 entry, and select F4 to open it.  Arrow down
to the module section, and add the following below the Load "dbe" entry ...

Load "dri"
Load "glx"

Select F2 to save the file.  Select F10 twice to exit the midnight commander,
absolutley necessary, but isn't a bad idea after modifying any major X
components.

So, after the reboot you should be at a run level 3 C/L.  Log in as a regular
user, and at the prompt type ...

# startx

Do not telinit to run level 5 - this is important.  You must only use the
startx command to enter a graphical session.  If you switch to a full run
level 5 in LM 8.0 there is a glitch w/ kdm that will prevent you from running
3D accel w/ your VooDoo in full screen mode.

There are still some performance tweaks that need to be addressed w/ the
5500, but I haven't got that far yet.  FPS are not outstanding w/ the above
steps, but at least the 3D works.  I'm pretty sure there are some old
libraries still being referenced that are causing the slow FPS rates, but
I've been too consumed w/ my other machine and the G450 to hunt them down.
Speaking of which I got rid of the Matrox card (put it in a Win 2K box), and
went w/ a GeForce 2MX instead.  Holy FPS Batman!  This card rocks at almost
1400 FPS in gears.

Best of luck.

Regards,

SpeedMan