There are several ways to do this:

1. Move to the end of the location line (you can press 'end') and
press 'ctrl-u'. This works in many other places as well, including a
standard console prompt and most input locations in X..

2. Move to the beginning of the location line (you can press 'home')
and press 'ctrl-l'. This works almost everywhere as well.

3. You can type your URL into an 'Open Location' dialogue window.
Click 'Location' -> Open Location. You can configure a key binding
(click 'Settings' -> 'Configure Key Bindings') and/or a toolbar button
(click 'Settings' -> 'Configure Toolbars') for this feature. This
window has a 'Clear' button.

4. You can use the methods above to assign a key binding and/or
toolbar button to clear the location bar itself.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson