Hmm... I just thought of something.  What have you
tried to get the sound working?

Because I recall that the KDE that came default out of
the box had sound issues.  I don't think this affected
xmms or CD playing, though.  But you might upgrade KDE
using MandrakeUpdate if you haven't already done so.
Then this may fix the sound for KDE.

What applications have you tried for sound?