Thanks for the suggestion, however, when I tried to uninstall some packages
in order to upgrade them (cups, rpmdrake, rpm, rpmtools), a box appeared
saying that all these other packages would be removed to satisfy
dependencies.  I clicked on "ok," and software manager closed without
uninstalling anything.  Software Manager used to work just fine with no
problems the very first time I installed 8.0 on this machine, and has ceased
to do so since, even when using fdisk to wipe out the linux partiton and
reinstall from scratch.

Terry