Nico,

Thanks very much for the response!  However, I seem to have confused the
issue -- AFAIK, reading and writing remote files using FTP is *not* what
I want to do.

The closest and most accurate analogy that I can come up with is this:
while browsing websites with Xemacs w3 mode, I come across what is known
in HTML as a TEXTAREA.  A TEXTAREA   appears in most (graphical)
browsers as an empty box into which you can enter text.  You've seen
them -- pages where you can enter feedback for a site on the page rather
than sending email.  I've been able to enter text into them using Xemacs
w3 mode, but I'm stuck at that point -- I don't know how to tell Xemacs
to "save" what I've entered (back to the web site).  I can press C-X C-S
(or whatever) to save what I've entered locally, but that doesn't "save"
it back to the web site.

As I said, this is an analogy, and thus not 100% accurate.  If you want
to see more exactly what I'm trying to do, see
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Support/UsingEmacsToEditTwiki.  When I
come across another web page with a TEXTAREA box, I'll try again.
(Xemacs didn't do well at all on the dlink page I found the other day,
and someone thought it might have something to do with Java.)

Thanks,
Randy Kramer