The answer is you can't play an .exe file in XMMS.
You need to download files with .mp3 extensions.  (The
neat thing about gnutella clients is you can share any
type of file)

Regarding the desktop icon.  I don't know for sure but
I think you'd have to write a short shell script.
(Still working on figuring out Shellscripts)

Also I gave you some bad information regarding the
export PATH thing.  This won't make it permanent.  I
need to either edit the .bash_profile to add that line
or create a symbolic link into /usr/bin.  If I figure
it out, I'll let you know.  Unless someone knows the
answer?