--- s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got all those files, but who knows what is
> wrong in them?
>
> But let me ask, (I feel so silly) but (a) the
> netbios name would be the
> computer's name or the network's name.  I believe I
> have it as the computer's
> name presently.  (b) And in windows, is the host
> name the same as the netbios
> name?
> (c) Netbios name on the linux machine....  that
> would be the first part of
> the variation on localhost.localdomain?
>
> I've put all of them on the same workgroup name, I
> think.  (d) The workgroup
> name would be the second part of the above reference
> variation?
>
> tia,
> -s
>
> Ps.  Let me just post my lmhost & hosts files and
> see if they look right to
> you please.  (I know something must be wrong
> somewhere.)  I have four
> machines with one as a gateway and the samba server.
>
> /etc/lmhosts:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.0.1 localmachine
>  <-- mandrake gateway
> Burner'swork Burner'swork
>  <-- windows machine
> Nightrunner Nightrunner
>   <-- windows machine
> tuxmachine tuxmachine
>  <-- mandrake workstation
>
> /etc/hosts:
>
> 127.0.0.1             localhost.localdomain           localhost
> 192.168.0.1   localmachine.snetwork   localmachine
> 192.168.0.3   Burner'swork.snetwork   Burner'swork
> 192.168.0.4   Nightrunner.snetwork            Nightrunner
> 192.168.0.2   tuxmachine.snetwork             tuxmachine
>

> thanks again.

a) The computers name. My /etc/lmohosts is like:
192.168.0.1 bustedbox
192.168.0.2 graffix
b) I think so but I could be wrong.  I don't do
windows often.  I configured it once and backed it up
so I'd never have to go through it again :)
c) Yep
d) Err um no.  You set in your windows network tab
thingies (<--very technical term there) somewhere.
For example the howto with my network card said to put
all the machines in the linksys workgroup.  You set it
in the same spot that you set the name of the pc if i
remeber correctly.

Hey I just realized I too am unable to connect to
localhost (127.0.0.1) but I never tried till now.  Try
smbclient -L localmachine (I'm assuming that
localmachine is really the name of the server your
setting up) maybe it's just something with localhost.
Your /etc/hosts looks cool but the /etc/lmhosts needs
to look like mine I think (well mine woorks for me
YMMV).  Good Luck.  BTW testparm is a utility that
will check your smb.conf file and tell you if it's
good.  It has a man page.