I used to use KDE. Due to a problem, which I attributed to KDE
but later found out that it occurred because of a malfunctioning
mouse, I switched to Gnome for a while.

Now, that I found out about the malfunctioning and replaced it,
I have switched back to KDE again.

Oddly enough, I get the gnome setup program instead of the KDE one
and if I force the KDE control cnter to start and take away the
background wallpaper, I get the gnome default background.

I guess that there is a set of variables controlling this
behaviour, but which are these variables that allow Gnome
to take over in spite of my exlpicit choise of KDE?

I'm not the victim of a subtle conspiracy, I hope -:)
I like KDE as I have grown accustomed to it.

/Serafim