Michael wrote:
>> It is possible to have a "user" that has root-like privileges --  Try
going to your user manager of choice and changing the uid / gid (user
and group ids) to 0.  If you do so, the account will become a root user.
<<

What would be the advantages of doing that rather than simply logging in
as root myself? Remember, I'm the only user. I assume the root-like user
could make changes like root could.

>> Another option is to make the user a part of the "wheel" group, which
will give you at least some root capabilities as a user. <<

Same questions. What is the point or advantage compared with my simply
logging in as root for the whole session?

I'm not arguing or disagreeing, just trying to understand the difference
between being a user with root privileges and being root. Why would I
need to give *myself* root privileges? I already have them.
  --Judy Miner