Bless you, Tazmun! Someone else who understands what I'm talking about!

>> I see a major difference in the mindset here.  Judith speaks of small
as in stand alone or 2 or 3 computers as is my own home network  <<

Precisely. The issues are not the same as they are in even a small
office network.

I wasn't even talking about a Linux home network. At this point, I don't
intend to link my two computers over Linux. I'll keep my Windows
network, but since there is no Linux on my laptop and probably never
will be, there isn't much point to trying to set up a two-computer Linux
network. Maybe I'll try it for the fun of it if I ever have too much
time on my hands.<g>

But it just occurred to me that there needs to be a simpler way to set
up home networks in Linux--something along the lines of NetBEUI. That
is, if Linux is to make real inroads on the home desktop.

I sense a big split among Linux users (I hate terms like "Linux
community"<g>) between those who want the OS to become friendly enough
to lure disgruntled SOHO/home users from Windows and those who want
prospective users to do it "their way or the highway." The reality is
that Linux will never penetrate the SOHO/home market unless it bgecomes
easier to manage and more accommodating to the needs and preferences of
non-technical users. There is no reason a powerful OS can't have a
friendly face.

Thanks again for your comments.
 --Judy Miner