在 2001 七月  1 星期日 23:01,civileme 寫道:
> linux makes an effort to keep almost all memory in use all the time
> (figuring unused memory is wasted memory), so it often finds memory
> errors right away that windows would totally miss.
> Civileme

Oh!
You just replied a question I didn't ask!
:-)

I just bought a new box and insisted on having 256Mb RAM (against the advice
of a friend who said 128Mb would be enough).
After installing LM8.0, I noticed that most of the 256Mb were used,
confirming that I made the right choice, but I also wondered why Linux would
precisely use the amount of RAM I had.

I was thinking to wait that memory comes cheaper to add two 512Mb bars to
have a total of 1300Mb RAM. Would that make the system  faster, or would that
only be a waste of money?
(running on a AMD Duron 750Mhz, that I may upgrade to K7 1.4Mhz sometime next
year)
I only run typical desktop single user applications (mail, internet...).

Anguo

P.S. : Even though this list is very busy, I do my best to read all the
messages. I learn a lot this way.
Thanks to everyone who ask questions (which are never stupid) and thanks to
all those who take the time to reply...