On Wednesday 11 July 2001 09:01 pm, L.V.Gandhi wrote:
> 1)The system has so far only what came with mdk 8.0 kde except for
> adding a line in /etc/modules.conf for my TV tuner card, of course
> for getting sound. Otherwise sound doesn't work for my TV tuner card.
> 2)Yes. Sound problem is there. When I first time logged in I got the
> login sound just before logo was to disappear. Now that doesn't
> happen.  Even after the above modification, for another new user
> also, login sound came during first login and then system sound
> doesn't work.
> Can anything made out of it? If so what should I do?

   That 'login' sound is one of the 'System Notifications', so if you
disabled 'System Notifications' it should'a silenced it.  The same is
true if you renamed 'knotify.so'.  Both are just fixes for the knotify
error you cited.  You also probly had knotify.so running wild when it
errored, slowing your system and overheating your cpu/cache/ram and
motherboard chipset. So it's very important to stop and avoid that
behavior.

    BUT this isn't a cure, just a quick and dirty work-around till you
find the real problem.  Which could be that TV card and the module(s)
you introduced to get it workin.  'Specially if the TV card/ modules
were binary only (ie, closed source) from a vendor.
--
   Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Galveston Bay