this is just one of a laundry list of concerns about this particular
product.  I'm actually hoping that they go through with everything they
promise (no java, anti-piracy, bloted code).  perhaps this will provide some
momentum to our beloved linux and others.

check out some benchmarks comparing XP to win2000 at www.anandtech.com

people still scoff at linux on the desktop.  I firmly believe that if end
users could get their box preloaded with all the software they "need"
(email, web, offfice, multimedia) they would dump MS without blinking simply
on price, and there wouldn't be any problem.

Linux-Mandrake _is_ ready for the desktop.  that's why I use and reccomend
it.