I have a system that successfully boots Mandrake 7.2...

I want to install 8.0 instead, so I have the boot floppy
and a bootable CD.

I can boot both types of media.  All installation choices
fail with a hard system hang immediately after the system
detects the IDE devices in the system.

No error messages are displayed.

Win98 works fine, Mandrake 7.2 works fine.  What might be
causing this low-level failure in the install process.
I do not have cutting edge hardware...

AMD K6-166, 96MB RAM, Advansys SCSI controller, SMC ISA
10MB NIC, ISA soundblaster AWE 64, ATI XPert 98 PCI video
card.

All the messages I have seen regarding installation
failures seem to imply that other people get farther
than I do...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin R. Bulgrien

CPUTYPE=AMD K6-166
COMPSPEED=166 MHz
MEMRAM=96Mb
DRIVES=Western Digital 4GB and Fujitsu 2GB
PRINTERS=Canon  BJC-600;
BIOS=Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG12/04/97
DISPLAY=ATI Rage 128 GL SD PCI (English);
MULTIMEDIA=Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible)
CDROM=IDE and SCSI CDWriter on Advansys SCSI card
MODEM=Zoom External 56K LT Voice Faxmodem;Zoom External 56K LT Voice Faxmodem;
NETCARD=ISA SMC EtherEZ (8416);
MONITOR=Super VGA 1280x1024;
KEYBOARD=Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboar