Hugh,

This sounds as if you have user or disk quotas enabled, and have exceeded
one of the hard limits.  As root, open linuxconf, config-->File Systems -->
Disk Quotas.
Either relax them (ie, increase the default values) or disable disk quotas.
 Also check to make sure that your drive(s) aren't full.

Michael

--
Michael Viron
Registered Linux User #81978