On Tuesday 07 August 2001 00:42, X - A - W - K wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just would like to ask somebody to explain me the main difference between
> Linux Mandrake and RedHat.
>
> I just want to know the strong points of each one... For what is better to
> use Mandrake... and for what RedHat?
>
> Thanks
>
> X - A - W - K

Mandrake is very accessible, and after installing both LM 8 and RH7.1, I
think Mandrake goes that extra step to get the creature-comforts in like
working sound, video and printing straight out of the box.  Redhat doesn't
even confirm sound or printer settings during its install, they do work, but
you have to configure them after the installation.

LM8 is also the only distribution I've that can run my Radeon at all.  Even
though RedHat 7.1 identified my card, it still couldn't run it on X, I think
it has something to do with FBDev not being install, but I'm not sure yet...

LM's Software Manager is reliable and way faster than the defacto GNOrpm but
RedHat's Up2Date utility is superb for accessing the latest updates and
libraries.

LM seems to favour KDE, RedHat favours GNOME.

Mandrake appears to have more in-house tools like Software Manager, Mandrake
Control Center, DiskDrake, HardDrake, etc.

Overall, both are good, but I feel that I spend much less time configuring
Mandrake, so I can do the things I really want to do like listening to music
and writing really long emails on mailing lists