-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Sridhar Dhanapalan
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 9:41 AM
To: Jose M. Sanchez; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] mp3 encoder missing???

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:40, Jose M. Sanchez wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> Why would a source distribution be ok, whereas a binary not?

It is apparently some sort of legal loophole. I'm not a lawyer so I
don't
know the specifics on this.

> What about CDEX?

I had a quick look around the CDEX website (http://www.cdex.n3.net).
They are
using Lame as their encoder, and they have a binary version available
for
download. I don't know if what they are doing is legal. Maybe it is not
illegal in their part of the world. Most countries _don't_ have any
software
copyright law, but many accept the US law.

> What about WinAmp's plugin which is not Franhoffer based nor has
> royalties associated with it?

I don't know about this. Perhaps AOL (the owners of Winamp) are
subsidising
it so they can advertise to Winamp users.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com