On Monday, Aug 13, 2001, Jose M. Sanchez wrote:

> Now I've been convinced that the problem lies in the encoder & decoder
> patents held by Fraunhoffer which is really the big problem...
>
> However, I'm still splitting this hair... According to the postings, you
> COULD theoretically create a MP3 encoder which does not violate
> Fraunhoffer's supposed patents, though as stated, this would be next to
> impossible...
>
> In turn this implies that the file format itself is not covered by the
> patents.

To be honest, I have no idea. =)  I just posted what I read on the ogg
website and that mp3 encoder for winamp.

mmm... searching on the net, found some info on www.mp3licensing.com.  I
think the most important part is this:

  Note: No license is needed for private, non-commercial activities (e.g.,
  home-entertainment, receiving broadcasts and creating a personal music
  library), not generating revenue or other consideration of any kind or
  for entities with an annual gross revenue less than US$ 100 000.00.

So it sounds like someone encoding for their one use is ok.  However,
the company (or person) that made the encoder is NOT using it for
private use (since they distributed it), therefore, they do need a
license.

--
Paul Cox <paul at coxcentral dot com>
Kernel: 2.4.7-8mdk  -  Uptime: 1 day 16 hours 39 minutes.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com