On Tuesday 21 August 2001 10:07, Matt Greer wrote:
> I sent this a few days ago and it never showed up. Then some other things I
> sent showed up two days after. I think the list server might be a bit
> bogged down.
>
> Anyway, I want to recompile my kernel for some things vmware wants (rtc and
> making parallel port support a module). The problem is I can't find the
> source for my kernel anywhere. I don't have a /usr/src/linux directory, and
> searching all over my computer turned up nothing. Is it the default of
> mandrake 8.0 to not include the source for the kernel?
>
> So I thought I'd just download the source for a new kernel and compile
> that. But some things I read indicated this could cause problems for any
> programs I have that were compiled with a specific kernel in mind.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? Should I try a new kernel and hope for the
> best? How can I know if any of my programs depend on my current kernel? Is
> it possible to get the exact source to the kernel I currently have?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> btw, vmware is awesome :)

Yes, to get the exact source for the kernel you have, look in /usr/src/linux

do a "make mrproper" from a root xterm or Konsole

then do "make xconfig" and se it up as you desire.

add any patches

and refer to the linux-mandrake reference manual chapter 15 (on your computer).

Civileme

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com