I've had this problem a couple of times in the past week, where nothing on my
Mandrake 8.0 system can look up the IP addresses of domains via DNS lookup.
Browsers can't resolve hosts, fetchmail gives a 'canonical DNS error', ping
can't find hosts, etc. (This is while I am connected to my ISP via a ppp
connection). The problem is at my end, because when I reboot into Windows
2000 I don't have the same problem. If I look up the IP addresses some other
way and type them in directly into my browser, to fetchmail, etc. everything
works fine.

The first time it happened I couldn't solve it and I reinstalled Mandrake
(lame solution number 1). Everything worked fine for a few days, but today
the problem came back. I definitely have to find out why this is happening
and fix it, because I don't want to reinstall again.

Can anyone help?

Lisa Evans

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com