On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:28, you wrote:
> Actually you probably need to install a different ISP.  I have seen this
> before.
>
> Microsoft supplies a neato "free" add-on to its NT servers for ISP that
> "prevents IP spoofing".
>
> It queries port 139 periodically on the connected machines and when it
> doesn't get the proper response you are off the net.  It is well-known that
> only Windows doesn't have raw socket capability so the anti-spoofing
> software kicks non-windows systems (with spoofing capability) off the net.
>
> It also in more recent versions cookies you so that you cannot do anything
> like reboot into windows to restore your function.
>
> However, assuming it is not the "lame ISP " answer, let us see
>
> /etc/resolv.conf
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> /etc/sysconfig/draknet*
>
> and tell us if you are using kppp or your own script with pppd or something
> else.

The interesting thing is that I just connected this morning (in my timezone
in Western Australia) and tried to ping somewhere, and it's working again!
I'm starting to wonder now whether it *is* my ISP, because I can't understand
why I would be having a problem like this that would spontanteously appear
and then fix itself overnight. I think I'll send them an email next time it
happens.

Thanks for your help, though, and anyone else who replied.

Lisa Evans

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com