Ok tried ifconfig eth0 inet up
still getting eth0: unknown interface - no such device

I double checked by BIOS.  PnP is definitely NOT ON.  I also set the IRQ 10
to Legacy ISA.  I have also double checked that the NIC itself is not set to
PnP.  It is manually set to 10/300.

I am using DHCP but it is from a local NetGear router (MR-314).  My Win and
Mac machines all found the dhcp host and setup automatically.

One funny thing is I'm getting a link light on my NIC but not on the router
side of the connection.  I've tried a couple of cables to no avail and
verified the ports on the router.

Glenn