On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 22:26, Charles Punch wrote:
> chris swain wrote:
> > If linux has many christian influences.  What religion is microsoft?
>
> I think Linux is diverse in it's religious influences, not specifically
> Christian. MS is probably in danger of worshipping the false God, Mamon
> (Money).
>
> 16:9 And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by how you use worldly
> wealth, so that when it runs out you will be welcomed into the eternal
> homes. 16:10 "The one who is faithful in a very little is also faithful
> in much, and the one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest
> in much. 16:11 If then you haven't been trustworthy in handling worldly
> wealth, who will entrust you with the true riches? 16:12 And if you
> haven't been trustworthy with someone else's property, who will give you
> your own
>
> Linus Torvalds certainly made himself a lot of friends by sharing his
> code with the world, instead of being greedy. Yes I have heard that he
> is an atheist, but that is irrelevant. Ghandi was not a Christian
> either, but he exhibited many Christlike characteristics. Those
> qualities are inherent in our inner man. The lust for money (power) is
> inherent in our carnal nature.

It's certainly not a Christian thing. It'd be more like a moral thing. The
major religions of the world share a very common set of morality. After that,
things begin to diverge...

BTW, Gandhi was a Jain, essentially a very strict Hindu. Hinduism would have
to be one of the most tolerant and inclusive religions out there. In India,
they celebrate just about every major religious occasion, no matter what
religion it comes from (any reason to party :-).

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com