>   I am considering upgrading my MB and CPU and would like to know which would be a
>better choice for LM8.
>
> I am looking for AMD Duron 900 - 1GHz or Athlon T-bird 1GHz.

well, I think since the 1gig duron came out yesterday, it's way too
expensive to buy right away (for the performance boost).  go for a
t-bird or go with a slower duron.

> and maybe Microstar K7T Turbo or GigaByte GA-7ZXR-C

i'm now at my duron box with an MSI (microstar) KT7 Pro 266.  I like it
in particular becuse it's one of the few DDR boards with more than 2
dimm slots.  no ISA, if that's a problem.  it works great under linux
with a 850 MHz duron and 256MB DDR mem.

MSI is an mu and commer.  AbIT and asus are the big names, Abit will
even come with it's own distro of linux :-)

> I am a student with not so much $, so I am looking for CPU under $150CDN and MB
>under $240CDN.

save some cash on a cpu if you're on a budget.  get a cheaper cpu and a
sweet mobo.  you won't notice the difference much between a 700 Mhz
duron and a 1.2 t-bird. especially if you're doing some basic codeing,
office apps, web browsing, etc.  when you get some more cash later, you
can get a 1.4 ghz when the prices come down.  if you want to hold on to
the processor for a while, definitely go with a t-bird with a good
cooler.

> Is there any benefit to choosing T-Bird over Duron?

yes, but it's negligable on desktop stuff.  you'll see it gaming, but
you need to put a beefier video card on the system before you'll see it.
durons, as I understand it, are just t-birds with a broken l2 cache.
processors are so cheap and so fast that you might as well go for a
duron for now and get something rediculously fast when you have the
cash.  if you make a good mobo purchase, you;ll hold on to it for a long
time, as AMD has promised to stay with socket A for the next few years,
so hopefully with a bios upgrade, you can plug a 3 ghz into a ddr board
you buy today.

> Thank you in advance,

no problem, you're most welcome.  hope this helps

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com