On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 01:30, Charles A. Punch wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > Mandrake has taken a few elements from Ximian GNOME for Mandrake 8.0.
> > However, Ximian's official Mandrake 8.0 packages are even better. Things
> > are smoother and faster than in 8.0 (especially Nautilus), and there are
> > a few extra little niceties like Doorman and Red Carpet.
>
> Do you think that MDK 8.1 will have the full version of Ximian GNOME? I
> don't have a cd burner and out here in the sticks, it's impossible to
> get broadband that supports Linux. If 8.1 will not include it, is there
> perhaps a RPM or something that would reasonably download over 56k?

I e-mailed Civileme about that a few weeks ago. He said that Mandrake often
take stuff from Ximian GNOME and incorporate it into their own version (it's
all GPL, after all). I suggested that they have a look at the ximian-doorman,
ximian-utils and red-carpet packages. They appear to be considering
ximian-doorman and ximian-utils, but red-carpet is out because it apparently
doesn't check dependencies as well as Mandrakesoft would like (and probably
also because it offers the same functionality as MandrakeUpdate, possibly
creating confusion amongst users).

Ximian's priorities at present are existing GNOME users (it's much easier to
keep existing users than to find new ones), the corporate desktop (through
partnerships with Red hat, Sun and HP) and the underprivileged (schools, poor
nations, etc.). They are not as focussed on the consumer desktop as KDE.
This, in turn, puts Mandrake Linux support as a low priority, since it is
KDE-centric and is focussed on consumers in richer nations (selling via
Wal-Mart, etc.). This is the main reason why Mandrake 8.0 support was so slow
in arrival.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson