The rescue disc creates a / directory on the disc itself. This means that
commands that are on your hard drive but not on the disc will not work. Try
this:

1. Boot with the rescue disc.

2. Run 'mount -t ext2 /dev/hdxy /mnt/disk'.
If you use ReiserFS, replace 'ext2' with 'reiserfs'.
'/dev/hdxy' should be the device locaion of your / directory (e.g.
'/dev/hda1').

3. Run 'chroot /mnt/disk'.

4. Run 'cd /'.

You will now be running GNU/Linux off your hard drive. You can now run any
command you want. You can either remove LILO, or you can edit /etc/lilo.conf
to make it work for your system, and then run 'lilo' to write it to your boot
sector.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson