On Tuesday 04 September 2001 18:39, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2001  4:35 pm, Scott Thurmond wrote:
> > I have LM 8.0 installed and everything is working beautifully.  My
> > question is this:  There are some updates out there that I want
> > -Evolution being one of them.  I opened the software manager and tried
> > defining a new source (an FTP source that I got from the LM download
> > site.)  I tried several of the FTP URLs but each time the software
> > manager finishes looking at the site, I open the defined sources and the
> > list is gone.  It never retains the sources I put in there.  For example,
> > one of the sources I defined was this one:
> > ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/mirrors/ftp.sunet.se/Mandrake/8.0/i586/
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Scott

> I have exactly the same problem, I've posted it on this list several times
> but no-one has responded. If any one out there knows the answer please let
> us know.
>
> Is there a known problem with the software manager.

I had the same problem after re-installing LM8 and not updating immediately -
(I had let the "Define Source?" dialog close.) I finally remembered how I did
it the first time:

Open Software Manager > Define Sources > New > Type > Security Updates
Type in "New Sources Name": (I used this one, but any will work)"ftp.ciril.fr"
Type in "Choose your mirror":
   "ftp://ftp:ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrake/updates";
Click "OK" > "OK"
You should see it listed.
Switch "All" to "Updates only", then connect to the Internet.
After that I had no problem. Hope it works for you -- it's VERY frustrating!

Regards, (and good luck!) Andre.