Joan Tur wrote:

Thank you for the responses I've received so far. However, I still can't
seem to send mail reliably using kmail.

A few more specifics, since I probably didn't explain the problem well
to begin with:

my incoming mail is through  mail1.myoldisp.com

outgoing is through: smtp.mynewisp.net

The problem is that outgoing mail requires a completely different user
name and password than my incoming mail. Every time I try to send mail I
get the message:

505 client not authenticated

I'm able to receive mail with no problem.

As someone suggested, I've tried to set up PostFix to send mail, and it
works for some domains, but not all.

I'm pretty much a complete beginner, so any help is appreciated!

--Gina