Mark Johnson wrote:
> I don't know of any comparisons between KDE and GNOME.  On the surface KDE
> is more Windows like and GNOME is more Mac like, but it's only cosmetic.  I
> was a KDE user for a long long time, but I downloaded the Ximian desktop and
> it's really nice, I've completely switched.  Both (K/G) are highly
> configurable and the Ximian desktop can be configured to look more Windows
> like or more Mac like...

 On the
> > down side, there did not seem to be any way already
> > set up for accessing the CD-ROM or Floppy (Does Gnome
> > require that they be mounted for each use as in early
> > version of KDE I tried once in an unsuccessful try at
> > Linux about 2 years ago?)

The "traditional" Linux way is to require mounting.  At least two
utilities exist to automatically mount, and I believe one of these is
included with Mandrake, most versions.

In addition, Mandrake includes floppy disk and CD-Rom icons on the (KDE,
at least) desktop which let you easily access the floppy and CD-Rom.  (I
don't know if they make use of the automount utilities, or if mount is
part of the command that is executed when the icon is "clicked" (or
double clicked, or whatever).

Hope this helps,
Randy Kramer