I've tried to recompile newer and older kernels on my machine.  Having
recompiled kernels in FreeBSD and seeing how easy it was, and how much
fun it was to do it, I figured, "Hey... I'll cut my kernel down to size
and it will boot much faster!"

Well I managed to cut it down pretty well, but the problem is that it
wouldn't load all the modules.  I couldn't get sound to work, or NFS, or
various other things to work properly.

My machine did boot a little bit faster, and it would let me boot, but
it wouldn't actually let me hear sound or other things I had grown
accustom to.

But yes, there is a file that it creates that has the information used
for the kernel so you can use it some other time.  It's in /usr/src/linux.

If you look there you can find the config file.  There's also a default
config that's in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386.

Hope that comes in handy.
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
  2:25pm  up 2 days,  6:11,  7 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00