On Sat, 2001-09-15 at 21:41, Lin wrote:

> hi, ever since I upgraded to Mandrake 7.2 I noticed the increase use of
> buffering under KDE, but when I do open a new program such as netscape I
> eventually ran out of memory and need to use disk swap - which the buffer
> really doesn't help... could anyone help me on how to disable the memory
> buffering under KDE?

Hmm... Don't know much about this.

> My other question is that I tend to use disk defragmenter under windows,
> but after I switch over I realize I couldn't find anything like it under
> KDE... could anyone also help me how to run defragmenter with Mandrake?

Linux uses a different filesystem than DOS/Win, called Ext2. This
filesystem does not require "defragmenting", because Linux maintains it
real-time. You may occasionally need to run the filesystem checker
(fsck), but you will be prompted to do so -- don't worry about running
manually. Fsck is something like scandisk.

Dave

PGP signature