I've already posted this problem as a continuation of
another subject, but thought I'd ask it directly.

I am having a lot of difficulties installing gz
packages because of neveerending dependencies. I have
tried this route instead of getting RPMs because I
can't!

RPMs that I find on the CDs install fine, but when I
select an RPM from the Net and then provide the
location for the download, the next thing I get is a
progress screen showing about 15 seconds elapsed and
then nothing--the download screen either clears or it
simply sits there doing nothing. The computer and the
connection are OK, it's not frozen. I've looked for
any trace of the files having in fact been downloaded,
but there is none.