Michael,

Thank you and wow!  To try and explain I was frustrated,
kept typing in correct commands and getting a response of
no such file no such directory.
So, I opened up the KDE module, open up the Root Directory,
over half way down is a root with a lock on it.  That was
what I meant by my root has a root.  Just following the
visible tree.  What it all means is I opened up the
directory
which leads to the root, and more. I do take things I read
literal - My thinking was ROOT Directory was the root, not
directory to the root.

Thanks again!
Kathy

>What you said makes sense. Except for one item,
>Root directory - key word is directory not root.
>The one item is if I am SU, does this automatically open
>the root file or the directory?
>Assuming I have it set for all access.

If you 'su' without the dash, you become the root user (ie,
user
'root'--basically the account which has all privileges) but
it does not
change to root's home directory (/root).  (as stated in the
man page for
su:  "Change the effective user id and group id to that of
USER.")

for example:

mviron@wsdo ~ $ pwd
/home/members/mviron
mviron@wsdo ~ $ su
Password:
[root@wsdo mviron]# pwd
/home/members/mviron
[root@wsdo mviron]# whoami
root
[root@wsdo mviron]#

whereas with su - (or -l or --login)

mviron@wsdo ~ $ pwd
/home/members/mviron
mviron@wsdo ~ $ su -
Password:
[root@wsdo /root]# pwd
/root
[root@wsdo /root]#

If you use -, -l, or --login <username> su acts as if you
had just logged
into the machine directly as <username>.

There are three different 'root's on a unix platform which
mean 3 totally
different things:

1.  The root directory (/) under which all other directories
connect.
2.  The root user, also known as the "Super-User", which has
permission to
do whatever you want to do (including removing all files on
the hard
drive), and is typically used for system administration
(adding users,
editing configurations and so forth).
3.  The home directory for the root user (/root/) under
which root's shell
initialization and configuration settings are stored.

The question then becomes which root are you talking about?
As far as I am
aware, there is no root file (unless you are considering the
/root/
directory as a file).

HTH,

Michael