On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:49:59 -0700 (PDT), Peter Rymshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I retract my recent self-response to this message,
> saying all was OK with Gnome.
>
> I tried to shutdown and reboot (before beginning my
> Ximian install) and found that Gnome froze immediately
> upon loading. I restarted the computer and the same
> happened again. But the third time, I started as root
> Gnome (fortunately, I had turned autostart off) and
> that, as well as KDE, seems to be OK.
>
> So, all of my original message below is more or less
> still true.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --- Peter Rymshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've decided that I like Gnome more than KDE and
> > want
> > to learn and begin using it. But I'm having problems
> > beyond the normal (like getting CD & floppy access
> > from the desktop or panel. I won't have to manually
> > monunt/unmount will I?)

Supermount makes using removable media totally transparent. There is no need to
mount or unmount media. Check your /etc/fstab to see if you have supermount
configured for your removable drives.

> > That's not the "problem." When I try to select many
> > of
> > the Gnome features, the computer
> > freezes--completely,
> > I have to turn the power off and on (which I worry
> > about each time).
> >
> > I've found that some of these problems have gone
> > away
> > after I've installed more gnome files from the RPMs
> > on
> > CD-ROM, so that might be the heart of the problem
> > (and
> > also what I would consider a serious bug in the
> > program). But I have installed everything that  I
> > can
> > find named gnome and there are still problems. (And
> > shouldn't the initial installation of Gnome from the
> > install CD have worked even without what I've done?)
> >
> > What I've done now is gone to the Ximian signt and
> > downloaded their gnome files (and also gnuCash which
> > had tried to install earlier without success). I
> > figure I should install -core- first, then perhaps
> > -applets-, -libs-, -utils- and the others I found.
> >
> > Ximian says that it is based on gnome 1.4, and
> > instructions are that it is not necessary to first
> > remove regular gnome installation--that it will
> > automatically upgrade files. My hopes are that
> > whatever files are giving me problems will be
> > replaced
> > and most if not all of my problems solved. But I
> > also
> > seem to remember having read somewhere that
> > installation of Ximian must be on a sound gnome
> > base.
> > Do I need to find and fix my gnome problems before
> > installing Ximian? That's the key question.
> >
> > Sorry to go on so long with this. Anyone know? Just
> > occurred to me, I should ask Ximian, even though
> > this
> > is the free download I'm talking about.

Firstly, try renaming or moving your ~/.gnome directory. This will force GNOME
to regenerate it the next time it loads.

It wouldn't hurt to try Ximian GNOME. Download the installer and use that to
install the packages (it's easier than installing manually). Also, remember that
Mandrake 8.1 is just around the corner. If you instal Mandrake 8.1, do a fresh
installation, not an upgrade.

If those don't work, you may have a hardware problem.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson