As many of the people here have said, as long as you have good temp
monitors on the motherboard (which most newer models do have) and your
fan is working you'll be fine.

[timh@r2d2 timh]$ uptime
 12:30pm  up 57 days, 16:02, 27 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00

That machine doesn't even have a system fan.  Just the fans on the CPU
and the video card.  The case does a very good job of moving the air
through though.

But we have machines that are the size of a book that have a laptop HDD,
ram and all that good stuff, stuffed in a rack and maintain temps of 40
degrees Celius at times.  They stay up for years (Barring no problems
with them that is.)  So you should be okay.  Your house won't burn down
while you're asleep!  And in most cases, the alarm on the motherboard
will go off and scare the mess out of you before that happens! (I've
heard that sound before!  Didn't want to use the CPU fan since it was so
loud!)

I also disagree with the idea of prolonged use of hardware wares it out.
It's the spinning up of the harddrives and firing up of the CPUs that
are so stressful.  A harddrive that spins up so often will sieze up on
you.

I have 2 GB harddrives that were given to me 3rd or 4th hand.  All the
servers it once resided in, were production servers for whatever reason,
and were were 24/7.  I use them as SWAP for various machines, and have
absolutely no problem with them.  They actually run cooler then the
newer HDDs I have.

But you'll be okay!  I understand the complaint of the boot up time.
One reason why I love FreeBSD so much.  I can reboot my FreeBSD server
two or three times in the time it would take my Mandrake workstation to
just go down!
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
 12:30pm  up 3 days, 20:07,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00