> So, energy consumption wise, it is far better to turn the computer off
> and back on twice a day.  That may result in an early failure of your
> computer or some part of it.    Whether the increased cost for

Well, electricity is pretty expensive here in California. (Tip: move to
Oregon :)

Nevertheless, I've habitually left my computer on 24/7. But, the electricity
use for the whole system is much more than that for the cpu 'box', and I
only leave the 'box' on 24/7; I routinely turn the monitor off when it is
not in use. With today's systems, the energy cost in running the monitor is
just as much (if not more) than the cost of just the cpu box itself.
And you might have fancy attachments like speakers, laser printers (those
don't use all that much power when on unless they are printing, I would
think). That's an additional factor to consider.