On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:43:55 -0400, Tim Holmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I agree!  That's one real annoying thing about Netscape.
>
> I would suggest to you Opera then.  I think I have like 8 diferent browsers
> installed on my machine, but that's the one I use.  I use Netscape for the
> JAVA applets like chat.yahoo.com and things like that, but for the most
> part, I don't use "Nutscrape" at all.
>
> And Galeon should work in KDE form what I understand.  I use Enlightenment
> on my workstation at home, and at other "remote offices" I use Afterstep.
> (Afterstep isn't bad, but I like Enlightenment much better!)  I then use
> FVWM2 at work.  KDE was too Windows-y for me.  I was trying to distance my
> self from Windows all together!
> tdh

Galeon works fine in KDE, from my experience. I like it because it has both a
multiple document interface (like Opera) _and_ a single document interface
(multiple windows, like most other browsers). You can have several tabs open in
each window, and you can save the tabbed/windowed sessions to files for later
retrieval. Another great thing is that it uses Mozilla's Gecko for rendering,
which IMHO is the fastest and most accurate HTML rendering engine on the planet.
It is very configurable, and the most frequently-used controls are within easy
reach from the menus (unlike the other browsers). It also uses the XBEL
bookmarking format, just like Konqueror.

I'm a bit of a browser-junkie. I have found that I like to browse different
kinds of sites in different ways, so I end up frequently switching between
Galeon (with its good combination of MDI and SDI), Opera (good MDI; different
from Galeon), Konqueror (I like to use several frames in one window), Netscape 4
(only to do my banking), and Links (an excellent text-only browser with tables
and mouse support). Fortunately, I have 256MB of RAM, so I can have them all
open at once :)

Desktop-wise, I am a GNOME user (another area where 256MB of RAM really helps
:). I initially migrated to GNU/Linux from Windos. I was using Caldera OpenLinux
2.2, which had only KDE1. After a little while, I switched to Red Hat 6.0, with
its GNOME 1.0 interface. I have stayed with GNOME ever since, because KDE
(especially KDE1) is too much like Windows for my liking (Konq is great, though
:). I always found the Windows interface to be limiting, and I used to have
several third-party utilities on my Win desktop to improve its functionality.
GNOME gave me a very configurable interface, negating the need for add-ons.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
  -- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977