If you're using a standalone computer, you don't need to setup any LAN
settings.  I'm not sure whay you would be having trouble connecting
using the Control Center.  Did you set the primary and secondary DNS
numbers that your DSL provider gave you?

Using the roaring penguin software, check to see whether the
ping/browsing problem is ocurring just as a regular user or as root as
well.  It may be a problem with firewall settings.

Also, as far as documentation, check out the man pages for
"adsl-setup"and "adsl-start".

-Paul Rodríguez