On Sunday 21 October 2001 21:24, Paul Schwebel opined on the topic:
[newbie] DSL and 8.1, the saga continues
> I'm using the rp-pppoe gui.  When I start the link,
> the gui appears to connect, that is, it goes 'green'.
> However, I can't connect with either a Web browser, or
> any mail client. I have checked /etc/resolv.conf and
> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf and they have the correct entries
> for Mindspring's DNS servers.
>
> But, I CAN ping various web sites using their IP
> addresses.

If you can ing using an IP address but not using a domain name, then the
problem almost certainly is in the domain resolution.

> Now, an ifconfig brings up the following info:
>
> [root@localhost root]# ifconfig
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:DA:7C:BC:C7
>   UP BROADCAST RUNNING NOARP  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>   RX packets:67 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>   TX packets:97 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> carrier:0
>   collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
>   RX bytes:5849 (5.7 Kb)  TX bytes:12355 (12.0 Kb)
>   Interrupt:10 Base address:0xec00
>
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
>   inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>   UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>   RX packets:347 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>   TX packets:347 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> carrier:0
>   collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>   RX bytes:39039 (38.1 Kb)  TX bytes:39039 (38.1 Kb)
>
> I'm wondering if that 'lo' entry is the problem. My
> recollection of local loopback means that the PC is
> only sending IP to itself? I'm not sure why I can
> ping, unless the loopback doesn't apply to ICMP
> packets. In any case, if this is a problem, can
> someone tell me?  Also, if it IS the problem, how do I
> get rid of it permanently? I've looked thru linuxconf
> and several man pages to no avail!

LO is needed, even if you are not connected to a network. The reason is
that Linux runs lots of network-aware apps (including X Windows), and they
need some sort of network to run properly. The local loopback provides
this, in lieu of a "real" network. But even if you have a real network
connection, you still need the local loopback.

> Also, in the HOW-TO-CONNECT doc for rp-pppoe they say
> "DO NOT configure the card to come up at boot time."
> How do I do this?

Go into Control Center, open the Services, and disable Networking on boot.

> AND here's another possible cause of my problem. Is
> httpd supposed to be running? When I do a 'ps -A'
> while rp-pppoe is connected I get this:

> Now, httpd is nowhere to be found. Should it be there?

httpd is the Apache web server daemon. You do not need it for your PC to
be connected to the Internet.

> Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to be
> as detailed as a newbie can be about my suspicions and
> my questions.

No problem. Like I said above, the problem is almost certainly with your
domain resolution. Either your PC is unable to reach the DNS servers you
specified, or else the DNS servers are not responding. What are the IP
addresses of Mindspring's DNS servers?

Dave