Hi all,

Is anyone else having heaps of trouble with mandrake update on 8.1?

First of all, its slow, secondly, it insists on scanning the system and its
db of all the CD's each time you start it...

and since I have to kill it alot because it sits there doing nothing, it
takes ages to try again..

Anyone had any luck getting MandrakeUpdate from 7.2 compiled for 8.1?  This
is a case backasswards development, 7.2's software update was easy to use,
easy to configure and it worked, most of all it was simple and obvious.

The software update in 8.1 gives you buggar all feedback on what its doing,
I am sitting here watching it do nothing,,

I started software Installer, selected bugs general updates and security
updates, and it found Mozilla, and the SSH packages...   I think great, that
wasn't that hard, even if it did take ages... (alot longer then 7.2) anyway,
I clicked continue, after selecting all the packages except Mozilla, (do
that after ssh is updated was my thinking).  Anyway I have a screen now that
says, Install in progress, you can see below the installation state, and the
rest of the window is blank except for the quit, back, next and help buttons
none of which are highlighed so that I can click them.

Its been like that for an hour, doing absolutly nothing, no CPU or HDD
activity, and no net activity.

So whats with that?  Also, before someone tells me to try another mirror,
this is the forth I have tried, and gottn no further with any of them.

Most annoying, I'll ask again, has anyone got mdk7.2 SoftwareUpdate working
with 8.1???? I need a workable solution before I put these things out as
servers...

rgds

Frank