Thats what I did, I installed the latest rpmdrake from Cooker.  Then I
launched it from the console so I could watch the output. It allowed me to
add security updates and cooker sources as well. It is also much much faster
at loading the 1-2-3 cd database too!

Just for grins check your /etc/mandrake-release and make sure it says

Mandrake Linux release 8.1