On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:43:55 -0400 (EDT), Roger Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Roger Sherman wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> > > This can be done with hdparm, the same command that is used to optimise
> > > drive speeds. For more info, see the man page and the tutorial at
> > > mandrakeuser.org.
>

> OK, I did this:
>
> hdparm -S 6 /dev/hda
> hdparm -S 6 /dev/hdb
>
> to set both HD's to spin down after 30 seconds, just to test and see if it
> would work. It didn't, and I didn't see anything for troubleshooting on
> either the man page, or at mandrakeuser.org. Whats my next move?
>

> peace,
>
> Rog

I don't think there's meant to be a space between the "S" and the number. Here's
what I use:

  hdparm -c1d1S242 /dev/hda

You can ignore the "c1d1" here. Notice, however, the "S242" (242 = 1 hour) on
the end of the tag.

Also, there may be background processes that still require the filesystem. I
don't think 30 seconds would be long enough for everything to settle down. Try
setting the interval to a few minutes, and then try it when there's nothing else
(including X) running.

Another thing to consider is your filesystem. If you use ReiserFS, the FS is
polled every five minutes. This makes spindowns unlikely to work for drives with
mounted ReiserFS partitions. Ext2, swap and FAT are fine in this regard. I don't
know about the other journalling FSs.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.