Answer to one :

Postgres is the user account that the postgres DBMS in run as a service. You
can create a user account for yourself from the command line using

createuser

Synopsis
        createuser [options...] [username]
        Inputs
        -h, --host host
                Specifies the hostname of the machine on which the postmaster is
running.
If host                         begins with a
                slash, it is used as the directory for the unix domain socket.
        -p, --port port
                Specifies the Internet TCP/IP port or local Unix domain socket file
extension on                    which the
        postmaster is listening for connections.
        -e, --echo
                Echo the queries that createdb generates and sends to the backend.
        -q, --quiet
                Do not display a response.
        -d, --createdb
                Allows the new user to create databases.
        -D, --no-createdb
                Forbids the new user to create databases.
        -a, --adduser
                Allows the new user to create other users.
        -A, --no-adduser
                Forbids the new user to create other users.

to use this created user to access the DB use :
 psql [ options ] [ dbname [ user ] ] you will be prompted for the user
password (I think, I have not had to access the Db from the CLI since I put
up my Zope front end application ;-) )
Answer to two :

I installed and ran it from extensiont cd of LM 8.0 and it ran ok.....

Answer to three :

Check the Security Gurus