On Monday 22 October 2001 08:07, Eric Baber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a complete Linux newbie and am just finding my way around. I've
> searched a newsgroup and several web-archives, along with the
> Microsoft site, for information about an Internet Explorer version
> that'll work on Mandrake 7.2. Is there such a thing? I haven't been
> able to find it on the Microsoft site, and while there are references
> to IE being used on Linux on some of the web-fora I haven't found any
> direct links to where I can in fact download it. If anyone could help
> that'd be great, thanks.
>
> Eric

No chance, no way.

Microsoft makes their IE very system specific by routing calls to the core of
the OS rather than to the Applications Programming Interfaces (APIs) everyone
else has to use.  Because it violates these rules, it becomes a superhighway
for exploits to cruise into the windows OS, but that has never seemed to
bother Microsoft.  A little advantage over the competition is worth all the
viruses and trojans and worms the users have to deal with.  There are
Microsoft-hostile web sites out there which can and do destroy your data and
your computer setup in a single step if you open them with MSIE.

But even if it weren't a security problem, it makes calls to unknown
functions within the shroud of secrecy of the Windows OS, so it is basically
impossible (and probably illegal to try) to reverse-engineer it.

You have Mozilla, Galeon, and to some extent Konqueror to choose from, and
the latest versions from Microsoft no longer support Java, so the trade is a
little easier.  In commercial software there is also Netscape and Opera.

Civileme
QA Team