> > I personally believe that Microsoft Internet Explorer is the best web
> > browser out there.
> >
> > For any platform.
> >
> > Period.
>
> Perhaps if you like the following:
>
> 1. The browser is automatically installed and starts up at every boot
whether
> you want it or not (which explains why it seems to load so quickly).
>
> 2. When it crashes (which is quite often), the whole OS crashes.

My IE 5.5 crashes sometimes, on Win2K - does not take the whole OS with it.
Can't recall the last time the whole OS BSODed. Win2K is a very stable OS
(for me).

> 3. It's closed-source, so you have no idea what's going on underneath. For
> example, the 'snapshot' facility used in the XP products will send
whatever is
> in your memory to Microsoft, even if it is private.

Well, sorta. It's not the WHOLE memory (can you imagine the time to do a
512M RAM upload to MS? :-), but the crashing application's share of it.
While may or may not include private information. And you can turn off the
snapshot feature; in fact, MS recommends turning it off (even before the
latest news)

> 6. You like an inherently insecure application - one which has many
well-known
> exploits which can easily compromise your data and privacy.

True, altho there are things you can do to lessen the risks - same as there
are things you can do to lessen the risks on Linux.

> 5. You don't want to ever use Java. In a move against Sun, Java support
has been
> discontinued in IE6.

No, I think they haven't disabled SUPPORT for it - I think they're not
SHIPPING with it, meaning you have to go get your own JRE (like Linux users
have to). If you have your own JRE, Java applets are supposed to still work.
(I think - I don't use IE 6)

> 6. You don't want to ever use plug-ins. In a move against Netscape and
other
> non-IE based browsers, plug-in support has been discontinued in IE6.

Yeah, that sux. Altho QuickTime, for one, has gotten around that.

> 7. You like to use applications designed by a company that doesn't care
about
> the above-mentioned problems, and even denies they exist. Would YOU trust
such a
> company?

Not a whole hell of a lot, no.

> > before they started bundling it with Win98. MSIE 3.x would tear
> > anything else apart. And when AOL bought out Netscape, the

Well, I'd dispute THAT. But IE started becomeing usable (and ahead of
Netscape) around v4, I think.

> When I used to use Windows, I had a utility called 98lite
> (http://www.98lite.net). It had the capability of 'exorcising' Windows of
IE and
> other bundled apps. The resulting speed and stability boost was amazing.

It still exists. In fact, they've (supposedly) improved on it.

> It depends on what you mean by 'Netscape'. Netscape 4 is old and is only
> maintained by Netscape for bugfixes. It is useful to keep around for
> compatibility reasons, since most sites out there aren't HTML
> standards-compliant. Today, I only use it to do my Internet banking.

I've come across many sites, where Mozilla/Galeon/Opera/Konq did not work,
or displayed the page incorrectly - and Netscape v4 did.
So it still has it's uses.

> Mozilla itself, which is largely developed by Netscape, is shaping up to
be a
> fine browser, but it still has some issues to work out. Nevertheless, it
is very

Still very slow, especially on Windows. And quite memory intensive, on all
platforms.

> usable at present. Galeon, my favourite browser, relies on Mozilla's Gecko
> rendering engine to display web pages. Gecko is the fastest and best
renderer
> I've ever seen, easily faster than Opera and KDE's KHTML (although those
are
> still very quick).

I like Galeon. Opera is pretty cool, too. Wish Galeon had a Windows
equivalent.

> At this stage, I can't image MS ever writing or porting an app for
GNU/Linux.
> The GNU/Linux community as a whole would not accept such applications
unless
> they can be proven to be safe, reliable and standards-compliant. Since MS
> prefers to be closed (or 'shared') source, this cannot be verified.

I'll buy that.