On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:41, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
|  On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:27:59 +0000, shipahoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
|  > On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:57:19 +0200
|  >
|  > H McM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|  > > Remove a package called imwheel.
|  >
|  > That worked.  Thanks.
|  >
|  > It makes you wonder why imwheel is there in the first place.
|
|  I've been wondering this for a _long_ time. GTK+ (including GNOME) and
| QT (including KDE2) apps have full wheel-mouse support. Other apps like
| Netscape and Nedit can be quite easily modified to have a similar
| functionality. Imwheel messes-up the native wheel support in these apps,
| but on the plus-side it allows just about any app to scroll with the
| wheel. Since most the X apps you'll ever use would have native support,
| I can't see why Mandrake loads this by default.

I've read several threads on this subject in the past and have not said
anything, BUT, (and this applies to both LM8.0 & 8.1) without imwheel my
M$ Cordless Wheel Mouse will not scroll at all.

Not only that, with LM8.0 my mouse just wouldn't work without imwheel -
upon moving the mouse it would fly to the top of the screen and flicker
erratically.  imwheel fixed that.

With LM8.1 my mouse worked out of the box, but not the scroll wheel -
couldn't scroll in any app whatsoever.  imwheel fixed that.

I have not had ANY problems with imwheel - my scroll wheel works in all
apps, including Gnome apps.  And I use KDE.  I'd be totally lost without
imwheel.

Go figure... :-)  Just my $0.02.

skinky
--
But what ... is it good for?
(Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,