John Hokanson Jr. wrote:
> My questions is esentially asking for what would yield the best speed
> boost? I'm leaning toward dual PPros, but not if there are known
> SMP problems under Linux.
>
> I'm also intending on upgrading the RAM.

Almost without asking the next question, my suggestion is to increase
the RAM.  Get at least 128 MB, better would be 256 MB.

Questions:

What do you intend to use Linux for?  Will it be a GUI workstation,
using KDE, GNOME, or similar?  Get more RAM (like I mentioned above).

If it's just going to be a server, or just a CLI workstation, 64 MB
might be sufficient.

But then, what applications do you find slow?  Is it slow to load them
or use them?

Without having tried dual processors, I am certain you will get more
performance out of, for example one 333 Mhz. processor than you will out
of two processors totaling 333 MHz. (like two 166 MHz processors),
except under some very unusual circumstances.

If your motherboard limits your RAM to 64 or 128 MB (like mine do), I'd
seriously consider a motherboard upgrade.

hope this helps,
Randy Kramer