On Saturday 27 October 2001 10:09 am, you wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:47:50 -0700, "John Hokanson Jr."
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 October 2001 09:33 am, you wrote:
> > > On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 09:06:09 -0700, "John Hokanson Jr."
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >
> > > With these concerns aside, you are probably still better off
> > > with an extra Pentium Pro. My guess would be that your kind of
> > > board is better optimised for PPro, and that the PII support
> > > was included simply to provide an easy upgrade path. Your PII
> > > chipset is most likely an early model, like an FX or LX.
> >
> > I can tell you right now that it's an440FX.
> >
> > - John
>
> The FX is te earliest PII chipset. I wouldn't use it if I were you.

I'm leaning towards not using it for the PII. However, there are
only two chipsets that support the PPro, and the FX is one of them.
The other is the KX, but its rather cost restrictive and intended for
high end server applications (not desktop and low end server stuff
like myself).

I'm guessing that I'll get the other PPro, making sure they're the
same steping. I'll also look into getting 512k models, as well as
punching my RAM up to 128mb or 256mb..

The box will primarily be running KDE (or GNOME if I get completely
fed up with the latency of KDE), act as a light file server, and
maybe an internet gateway. Nothing major.

- John