I think the player you are referring to is mplayer 0.50 I went through that
experience last week. The developers really DO NOT like gcc 2.96. They are
not that keen on 3.01 either, but have now included it, and mplayer will
compile with 3.01 now.
MPlayer also requires glibc 2.2.4-8mdk which if you install it from Mandrake
Software Manager requires gcc 2.96.
So you have to force gcc 3.01 with glibc 2.2.4-8mdk

Then it compiles OK You dont need any compiler switches.
MPlayer was a tough one for me to get going. Trouble is the developers insist
that RPM's are unlikely to work as it is so very dependent on individual
machines.

The manual on the mplayer site contains all this info.

As for your path, add to the statement in .bash_profile

Enjoy

Derek