> Then I have to keep getting permission everytime I move to a different or
> make substantial upgrades.

No you don't. You can download it anonymously for free, clone copies of it,
install it on a bunch of machines, etc. Support is another issue, of course,
but the software is free of a need to register. Sure there are ways to
register, you can go to linux counter, buy the software and get installation
support (btw you could buy one copy and install it on 10+ machines and call
in for help putting it on your roomate's laptop, I figure).

> Here is another point too. The hardware upgrade is obvious in favor of
> vendors who are hurting during these financial times. If you can run Linux on
> old hardware and get as good or even better performance don't you think this
> keeps Linux out since vendor make money on selling their hardware? Amazon

Vendors might not like Linux if it doesn't make people go out and get new
hardware. But I don't think that is the case. Upgrading is at least some-
what necessary, even with Linux. Linux can still run on my 386sx (first
used with Linux back in 1994) but I'm not going to get a lot of work
done. Same with it running on my old P-100, but it runs extremely well on
my Athlon. But I've kept ahold of the hardware longer than most people, I
figure, and I've not bought a PC in toto since 1991. I just put together the
systems myself, upgrading by piecemeal (like getting a new HD or adding RAM)
over time. That must irk the PC integrators who want me to buy a whole new
box every year or two. :)

Put things in perspective: would you expect people to go out and get a
whole new stereo system every couple of years - every time a new audio-
related technology comes out? Why replace your speakers, receiver, tape
decks, etc., just because a better CD technology comes out? Many people
purchase stereo systems by components, and computers are not all that
much different, at least in my opinion. Only the people who haven't any-
thing to start with buy 'all in one' systems.